If you’re like the vast majority of Americans, you probably created a few New Year’s Resolutions for 2019 a couple months ago. In addition to the standard exercise more, eat healthier and get organized, did your resolutions include
new business development?
you identified a few business-oriented resolutions or you’re just considering
ways to improve your business in 2019, we offer ideas to incorporate into your
daily professional practices.
Developing the Mindset. If you don’t have it
already, you need to develop a “business development” mindset.
a thorough understanding of how new business factors into your business’s
revenue and operations goals over the short-term and long-term.
you have that understanding, it’s much easier to develop a plan of where to
prospect for that new business.
Business Development Activities to do Now. Refer to our recent blog about business development activities you can incorporate right now as a quick and effective way to get started. 10 Business Development Activities.
Think Outside the Box. Brainstorm, create
diagrams, pictographs, charts or doodles—whatever it takes to get your
up with as many ideas as you can for where you can source new business. Then,
do deep dive research into each idea and prioritize them.
a solid plan to follow-through on your Top 3 ideas. Keep the additional ideas
in a safe place and refer to them after you’ve implemented the Top 3.
Stay Positive and
Face it – you’re going to run into some negativity while prospecting for new
business. For your plans to be successful, it’s imperative to keep a positive
mindset in the face of negativity.
every business development idea you have will be successful, and that’s okay.
Use the unsuccessful attempts as a learning activity to improve your efforts.
Don’t give up and keep developing creative new ways to locate news business for
additional note: Remember Alliant National is a great resource to advise and
educate independent agents on prospecting for new business.
The art of business development is identifying and creating relationships that lead to increased revenue for your business.
Relationships may include business organization memberships, partnerships between one or more entities or simply one-on-one referral relationships.
For most successful businesses, business development is a combination of all the above. Here are 10 business development activities you should be doing today.
One additional note: Remember Alliant National is a great resource to advise and educate independent agents on business development best practices.
- Ask for referrals, from your clients (current and former), non-competing peers, friends, neighbors and other influencers in your network. Acknowledge your appreciation by thanking all of those who refer business to you.
- Join an organization (i.e., Rotary Club, industry/trade association, local chamber of commerce, etc.) where your target clients are likely to be members.Get involved with the organization, beyond just attending meetings. Join a committee, become a leader in the organization and network often with members.Once members get to know you and build a relationship with you, they are likely to contact you when they’re ready to do business.
- Become a good networker. Networking is about getting to know others and their needs so you can connect them to potential clients and influencers that will help their business grow. They will return the favor!
- Become a good social networker. Create business accounts and participate in the big social media sites (LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter). Publish great content that is helpful, informative, insightful and relevant to readers. Engage with your followers.
- Always carry current, clean and organized business cards in ample supply.
- Use easy-to-review infographics as part of your sales arsenal. Infographics are memorable and easy for prospective clients to refer to when calling you for more details.
- Remember important dates, including client business anniversaries, vacation trips, births and other important happenings in your network’s business and life. Keep a calendar to help you remember to send them a short note or bring it up in conversation when you see them.
- Host an open house at your business. Invite an eclectic group of people who will benefit by meeting and conversing with each other.Think of helping others to connect with prospective clients and influencers, as well. Develop a brief welcome to “break the ice” and get the conversations started.
- Have a clear understanding of your business offerings and be able to confidently and concisely share at a moment’s notice.
- Be curious. Get to know your prospective and current clients, their goals, their fears and their reason for existing in business. When you know them, you are in a great position to help them.
Content is king!
Savvy business owners know they must continue to engage, inform and entertain customers, prospects and influencers with relevant and current content.
Here are three articles to explain the basics of content, dive into the relevance of it and offer tips to make content more effective.
- One thing’s for sure: content marketing is not going anywhere. Moreover, estimates show that by 2021, the industry will be worth more than $400 billion. Here are some of the most important content marketing trends that you must be aware of in 2019. Read More
- Creative and strategic content writing is a way to build your brand and grow your business. Here are top trends. Read More
- More than half (53 percent) of businesses invest time and money in content marketing, and continued growth in this category is expected, industry experts say. Here are tips on cultivating excellent content. Read More
It’s a challenge, and very time-consuming practice, to continually create original content to promote your business.
The good news is, you don’t have to recreate the wheel every day! There are numerous ways to re-purpose your existing content that makes it interesting and attractive to readers.
- The worst example of a bad digital content strategy is not having one at all. If you have good content, then you owe it to yourself and your organization to build a strategy that will activate it to help achieve your goals. Otherwise, what good is it? Read More
- New research from loyalty and marketing agency Customer Communications Group (CCG) shows marketers three ways to recycle content marketing and conserve resources while keeping the content funnel full. Read More
Killer content? Well, not literally. But, your businesses’ marketing content needs to wow people and move them to action.
Marketing copy can make or break your business goals and leave a lasting impression—good or bad—with your customers, prospects and influencers. Here are tips on how to write killer content.
- Having good content for your business is a critical component of modern-day success. In today’s digital and knowledge-driven world, ignoring the relevance of purposeful and engaging copy could spell stagnation—otherwise known as doom—for your business. Read More
- Today, most businesses are aware that content marketing is an effective way to boost brand awareness and engage with potential customers. But just because they are aware doesn’t mean they know how to use content in order to successfully generate interest from consumers. Read More
- How can you ensure success of your content marketing program, to ultimately achieve your business goals? Here are five best practices for creating great content that will move the needle. Read More