The machines have risen; now let’s put them to work
In November of 2022, the buzz surrounding ChatGPT and its potential to revolutionize the workforce made headlines. While the predictions of a complete transformation have yet to fully materialize, it’s clear that AI programs like ChatGPT, Microsoft Bing AI and Google Bard are here to stay.
It’s easy to see why people are increasingly incorporating AI into work and life. With a few carefully worded prompts, you can create some truly amazing things using these programs. For agents seeking to leverage the potential of AI, one promising area lies in marketing. Let’s discuss some ways you can start harnessing AI’s potential today. As we’ll see, the secret to getting the most out of AI platforms lies in asking the right questions.
Begin at the beginning
One of the best ways to use AI in your marketing is to incorporate it right at the beginning – that is, during the initial planning before you launch a campaign. You can start by asking your preferred AI chat platform to act as a marketing expert that will generate your plan.
Building this prompt requires a bit more than flipping a switch or pressing a button. You need the following information on hand so you can include it in your prompt:
- Business overview – Describe your industry and your company’s position within it, including the products or services you offer.
- Goals and objectives – Next, describe your marketing goals, which could include anything from building brand awareness, to generating leads, to boosting sales.
- Target audience – Include your target audience or customer personas. Don’t limit this to only demographic information like age, gender and location. Add psychological details like interests, behaviors, habits, values and pain points.
- Unique selling proposition (USP) – Ask yourself what sets your business apart from competitors. This is your unique selling proposition. Your USP is an important anchor for your plan and should not be overlooked.
- Marketing channels – Ensure that your prompt includes the marketing channels you currently have available to you. Separate these by owned, earned and paid media. Some examples of each include social media platforms, email marketing, content marketing and SEO (owned); public relations coverage or press release placement (earned); and advertising (paid).
- Budget – All of your marketing initiatives should be tied to a budget.Include an estimate of the resources you have available to allocate to your marketing plan.
- Timeline – Remember, a marketing plan should not be on an indefinite timeline. Include all relevant time-sensitive dates.
The most obvious way an AI chatbot can improve or streamline your marketing is through content development. Whether you need social media posts, a blog or even a full white paper or multi-page guide, today’s leading programs can help. Here are a few things to keep in mind when prompting your chatbot to create a new content asset:
- Length – Be as specific as possible about length requirements for your collateral. When it comes to the ideal length of content assets, opinions vary. There’s no guarantee that the AI program you use will automatically create content to an appropriate length for your needs.
- Tone and voice – Unless you specify what you’re looking for, chances are an AI program may not deliver your content in the right tone. Be sure to use plenty of adjectives. Provide examples of writing you’d like to emulate. You can also offer additional context. Describe what the content will be used for, and the language model will tailor accordingly.
- Trust but verify – One thing to remember is thatAI models, while helpful, are still not an exact science.These programs can and will deliver faulty information. Always verify your outputs against outside sources, and double check any data or calculations.
SEO and Digital Advertising
AI programs can also help with the high-level strategy for search engine optimization (SEO) and digital advertising. Here are best practices for creating effective prompts in this area:
- Clear, concise goals – Specify for the program exactly what you want to accomplish: improving organic search rankings, driving conversions or increasing awareness are all perfect examples.
- Relevant business information – As with your marketing plan, a bot like ChatGPT needs to understand some basic information about your business to create a relevant and impactful SEO plan. Be sure to include information related to your industry, target audience, products and services and competitors.
- Provide some keyword parameters – The success of both your SEO and digital advertising efforts depends on the strength of your keywords. Chatbots can assist you in developing a knockout keyword list when given the right parameters, including:
- Target audience
- Specific products and services
- Geographic regions
As you can see, there are numerous ways to leverage AI in your marketing efforts. Whether you are seeking a fully fleshed out marketing plan or specific deliverables, AI chatbots are certainly worth a try.
However, caution is warranted when using AI chat programs like ChatGPT. They should not be considered “secure,” and prompts should never include nonpublic, private, confidential, or sensitive consumer, business, or other information. As mentioned earlier, AI chatbots can also produce inaccurate, misleading, or even offensive responses. It’s always advisable to carefully review and consider the output generated by these programs.
AI chat tools certainly aren’t perfect, but one advantage of these platforms is the ability for human users to provide feedback on the responses generated. Working with an AI chatbot then becomes something of a collaboration, and that’s when great ideas start to emerge. By using AI tools responsibly and in conjunction with human expertise, you can help ensure the best possible outcomes for your marketing efforts.